Do you think Korean food is healthy?
Today I would like to post one of healthy food.
One of the most popular dishes in Korean cuisine, bibimbap is a nutritious rice dish of steamed rice and pre-cooked vegetables (usually spinach, bean sprouts, carrots, mushrooms, egg and lettuce. It can also contain ground beef but can be ordered without meat. Dolsot bibimbap is the same dish served in a hot stone pot (the pot is pre-heated in oven) to make the rice on the bottom crunchy and to keep the dish hot for a longer time. Bulgogi (BULL-go-ghee): Literally meaning “fire meat”, bulgogi is thinly sliced, usually rib-eye or sirloin, marinated grilled meat. Gochuchang (GOH-choo-jang) paste: spicy red pepper paste sold either in glass jars or plastic containers that can be purchased at any Korean or Asian food market.
As I was growing up, my mum used make Bibimbap to get rid of vegetable side dishes (banchan) that are getting a few days old (less fresh) or when she didn’t want to put much effort into a meal, she would just take out a few sautéed and seasoned vegetables and Kimchi from the fridge, add a sprinkle of seasoned seaweed strips (Gim) and made vegetarian Bibimbap. So I don’t recall having much nicely presented Bibimbap, like the top picture above at home, yet regardless of the presentation her Bibimbap was always tasty! Anyway, how do you make your Bibimbap? Any secret ingredients to share with us?
Build a bowl of Bibimbap!
Bibimbap is quite simple, so anyone can make it at home. It would be a great idea for a buffet style party, as everyone can create their own bowl to their own liking. On top of steamed rice, we chose from:
- shredded carrot
- shredded cucumber
- shredded seaweed
- pickled radish (my favorite!)
- mung bean sprouts
- hard boiled egg yolk
- caramelized garlic
- bulgogi (Korean barbequed beef)
- Korean red sauce which could be drizzled on top
Arrange everything on a platter.
- Cook rice. You can use a rice cooker or a stainless pot.
- Next, you need to prepare a large platter to put all your ingredients on. Rinse your bean sprouts 3 times and put them in a pot with a cup of water. Add 1 ts of salt and cook for 20 minutes. Drain water and mix it with 1 clove of minced garlic, sesame oil and a pinch of salt.
Put it on the platter.
- Put your spinach in a pot of boiling water and stir it for a minute. Then rinse it in cold water a few times and squeeze it lightly. Mix it with a pinch of salt, 1 ts of soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic and sesame oil. Put it on the platter
- Cut 2 small size zucchinis into thin strips, sprinkle them with a pinch of salt, and then mix them together. A few minutes later, sauté them in a pan over high heat. When it’s cooked, it will look a little translucent. Put it on the platter.
- You can buy soaked and cooked “gosari” at a Korean grocery store. Prepare about 2 or 3 cups of gosari for this 4 servings of bibimbap. Cut it into pieces 5-7 cm long and sauté in a heated pan with 1 ts of vegetable oil. Stir and add 1 tbs of soy sauce, ½ tbs of sugar, and cook them for 1-2 minutes. Add sesame oil. Put it on the platter.
- Slice shitake mushrooms thinly and sauté with 1 ts of vegetable oil. Add 2 ts of soy sauce and 1 or 2 ts of sugar and stir it for 2 minutes. Add some sesame oil, and put it on the platter.
- On a heated pan, put some oil and 200 grams of ground beef and stir it. Add 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tbs of soy sauce, 1/2 tbs of sugar, a little grounded black pepper, and sesame oil.
Put it on the platter.
- Cut a carrot into strips, sauté it for 30 seconds and put it on the platter.
- prepare eggs with sunny side up.
- Put your rice In a big bowl, and attractively display all your vegetables and meat t. Place the sunny side up egg on the center.
- Serve it with sesame oil and hot pepper paste.
- Lastly, mix it up and eat!
If you have never tried Bibimbap, (or any Korean food, for that matter), I cannot urge you strongly enough to get yourself to the nearest Korean market, or even Korean restaurant, to try some of the tastiest food you’ll ever have. You’ll find five more Korean recipes here. Try to make in other ways!
Let’s read about Bibimbap! you will love it more!